Sunday, September 10, 2006

The environment and why we should protect it.

Nature is a beautiful thing. I went on a hike with my family up in the Wild Basin area of Rocky Mountain National Park with my family today and saw the utter beauty of what nature has to offer. The wild life (most of which was small), the trees, the bushes, the water, even the dirt and rocks. All of these areas are precious and so integral to our ability to subsist in this world, not to mention all of the animals. For years there has been talk amongst the conservative Republicans that we need to drill for oil in order to continue our way of life instead of looking for cleaner renewable alternatives. The Republicans now have designs on drilling in the Roan Plateau for oil. The Roan Plateau is in Colorado near Rifle. A small town out west along I-70. Last Thursday, the Department of the Interior approved Oil and Gas drilling here. The pictures I have seen of that area are quite breathtaking. And thanks to our so-called administration in Washington, it may soon be gone forever. http://www.squarestate.net/showDiary.do?diaryId=2326

It is amazing to me considering how Dick Cheney in particular has said at least 2 years ago that we need to drill in the Rocky Mountain West and yet Bush won the 2004 election and won Colorado. I wonder how we can fight this. I don't want this in my country and certainly not in my state. Destroy the Environment in all of its splendor, and for what? Another 6 months of oil reserves? To line their pockets? Is that what for? No long term, renewable, environmentally friendly solutions? As my Dad said "I think it's about time we got rid of Republicans". Boy is he right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home