Saturday, June 10, 2006

Campaigning for a Congressional Candidate.

This morning I went down to Parker, Colorado to march for Democratic Congressional Candiate Bill Winter who is running for Congressional District 6. This district has been a conservative stronghold. Parker is probably one of the most conservative parts of that district. Some would call that area and even the district NIMBY. Though, many people seem to be getting tired of the current Congressman Tom Tancredo. While Tancredo has focused on a single issue of bashing Immigrants, Winter wants to make a change. I live and his district and have had the pleasure of meeting him many times before and during his candidacy. He is a solid guy. He is like Paul Hackett. He speaks his mind and is not afraid to call bullshit when he sees it. However, he is positive and wants to run on a message of hope. I respect him for his response when I asked him the question "How do you feel about the reauthorization of the Patriot Act?" To which Mr. Winter said "I don't see why we voted for it in the first place in any form". Thank you Bill!!! It will be an honor for me to vote for him in November.

As for the parade, Mr. Winter wanted to keep it all positive. The fact is, it was very gutsy to make a showing there. There were a lot of us in the parade. Strength in numbers. I remember campaigning in 2004. We even dealt with hostility from Republicans almost anywhere. Even in more Democratic areas. In 2006, that is quite a different story. Those that did anything cheered for us. Our contingent was flanked by a donkey on either side of us. Yes, a real donkey. Or should I say real donkeys. But it was good for us to walk through "hostile territory" on a parade route. Bill Winter is dead even in the district with Tancredo. This is one of the first times I felt optimistic about Douglas County Colorado. Mr. Winter has my confidence and my vote. Though the vote goes without saying. I look forward to volunteering for Mr. Winter many more times before this is over and hope to see him in congress come 2007.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home